NG Kerk Rondebosch
33 Loop Street
33 Loop Street Cape Town
The Rondebosch Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk (NGK) or Dutch Reformed Church was built in 1891 for the eighth Cape NGK congregation to be formed following the congregations of Cape Town (1665), Durbanville (1826), Wynberg (1829), Fish Hoek (1855), St. Stephen's (Bree Street, Cape Town), the first “coloured” congregation (1857), Three Anchor Bay (1879), and Tamboerskloof, also in 1891.
The architect was George Alexander who was born in Scotland and was a founder member of the Engineering and Architectural Association of South Africa in 1884, of the South African Society of Architects in 1899, and of the Cape Institute of Architects in 1902.
The original church had a simple single nave leading to the altar situated below a short crossing with the prominent tower situated to dominate the intersection of St Andrew’s and Edison Roads on the north east side of the church. An extension was made to the south side of the crossing c1940 from plans drawn up by builder and engineer, Charles Rohrbach.
This practice is restoring the Church which apart from years of limited maintenance has problems with subsidence and associated cracking